Saturday, April 09, 2005

MAKE ME OVER

This is one of my favorite songs. It was written by my friend Mike Wilshire in the early 1970's. According to Sally, his wife, he wrote it for his Sunday school class and it took him about 10 minutes to put it to paper.

I played this tune for a songwriting class and it blew the instructor away. The song changes key from D major to Eb major by using an Ab major 7th as a transcending chord and then it resolves back to D major. The instructor suggested that the song sounded unfinished. At his suggestion, I wrote in "Lord my Lord", where Mike originally had sung "La-Da-Da" and I also wrote a chorus. I sort of liked the homespun, La-Da-Da's. However I've been singing it the way I am putting it down here for years and I won't likely change. This song sounds best when sung in two part harmony.

"Make Me Over"

Lord make me,
make me over.
Wash me clean,
in Living Water,
to love You more,
more than before,
Lord my Lord.

Lord wake me,
to wake others.
Let me go
and tell my brothers.
In every land,
stretch forth Your Hand,
Lord my Lord.

With a song on my lips
and a yearnin' in my heart
let Your Spirit come
and meet of all my needs.
For the River that flows,
deep inside of me it goes,
rushing forth,
to quench the thirst in me.

Lord fill me,
with Your Spirit.
Speak Your Word,
Let me hear it.
Open my eyes,
open my heart,
Lord my Lord.

No comments: