Sunday, July 09, 2006

Summer



I will finish up my study of Genesis. I’ve had so many issues come up in my life. Good ones and areas of opportunity. So I haven’t devoted as much to this blog as in the past.

Here are some thoughts for today:

When I was young and in school summer meant freedom. School was finished for the next three months. I could sleep late and I could stay up late. No homework. I was blessed that I did not have to have a summer job. I had time to myself. I had time to be with friends. The family usually went on a vacation. In fact the word vacatio is the Latin word for freedom.

I’ve worked very hard all my adult life and not had much down time. I am not getting younger. I miss summer. Not the season with it’s intense heat, but the freedom of summer.

Solomon, or King Schlomo as is his Hebrew name said, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot… He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men."

Some would say the seasons of nature are due to the earth’s position to the sun. I say ultimately it is based on God’s Law and the cycle of seasons. God sent His only Son to stop the cycle of death and bring us back to where He is.

The great Christian songwriter Fanny Crosby wrote:
“I know in whom my soul believes,
I know in whom I trust;
The Holy One, the merciful,
the only wise and just.
I know in whom my soul believes,
and all my fears depart;
For though the winter winds may blow,
'tis summer in my heart.”


If not for the love and mercy that comes from God and the gift of His Son, Jesus my Redeemer, there would be no summer. Not ever.

No comments: