Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Jews For Jesus - Ambush Evangelism


When I was a young Christian, I wanted to share my new found joy and experience with anyone who would listen. I was told of the need to evangelize. I learned all sorts of Christian lingo.

Since I still had inadequacies in my own life, I despaired over sharing my faith. I did not want to be one of the “hypocritical Christians” that you hear so much about. As I grew older I saw the importance of showing my faith by living my faith. Instead of clobbering folks over the head with my 20 pound King James I merely walked the talk.

Over on the Virtual Talmud blog there is a lot of discussion concerning ambush evangelistic attacks from Jews for Jesus. I’ve never had any connection or contact with this group. I am only familiar with their name. I have to agree with most points that the Jewish bloggers are making.

There are a couple of issues that most Christians are not aware of concerning Jews.

Jesus was a Jew. The paintings that show a European Jesus do not do justice and show us an incorrect image. Jesus, or Ye'shua was a middle eastern man.

One of the central tenants of Judaism is preserving their heritage. That is their belief in One True G-d. There have been various Diasporas that have scattered them abroad. Yet they have maintained their identity and heritage by holding fast to their beliefs.


I for one respect this. Though I want them to know Jesus/Jeshua as the Messiah that has already come, because of the unfathomable struggle they have faced to preserve their own faith and heritage, I am not going to force this upon any Jew.

I will never know what it means to be a Jew, but I have made many inroads in studying the Bible and the Torah from a Jewish perspective and this has shed much light on what it means to me to be a Christian.

Hear O’ Israel. The Lord Our God is one! Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Eloheinu, Adonai eh-chad!

No comments: